Discussion: Read The Democratic Response To The Nunes Memo On FISA

4 Likes

Breaking news on a Saturday at 4pm, that nobody remembers about?

Heck of a job, Dems.

10 Likes

I doubt tRump actually read the damn thing. Too many big words…and more than half a page’s worth.

27 Likes

And I doubt the Donald’s name was in it.

4 Likes

WH held off publication long enough so that it doesn’t matter.

6 Likes

Yeah, even with the redactions it’s clear that this calls bullshit to the Nunes memo. That said, no one who ever believed the Nunes memo will likely read this. The whole issue was transparently stupid to anyone who could think to begin with.

34 Likes

Okay, it’s been several weeks now since the NunesNonsense was released but I don’t recall a single redaction in that farce of a document. Speaking of the Nunes, anyone heard from him since the 13 Ruskies were indicted? Me neither.

Looking through this one, I’m inspired to offer up a game of Memo Mad Libs - Fat Nixon Treason Special Edition. Anyone else in?

44 Likes

He ran out of things to distract us with this weekend. This was the best he had. I’m sure he thought Ivanka trying to negotiate with the N. Koreans by selling them her clothing line was going to be all the rage. He’s still getting bad press for his insane and inane ideas about arming teachers and making a fool of himself at CPAC, so releasing this was as good as any distraction for the time being, I guess.

37 Likes

Anyone have a magic eraser?

6 Likes

I think the Sunday news shows might address it, and it will be newsworthy after that.

24 Likes

I don’t know about this. It seems the memo collapsed under its own weight and with all the recent Mueller moves Nunes and the rest of the usual suspect Republicans have gone silent. Maybe they’re too scared now to say anything against this statement. On the other hand, it could give them an opportunity to attack and for the media to then suggest that there is a “partisan debate” going on about Mueller’s legitimacy. I hope not.

18 Likes

It’s all right, the Nunes memo was enough of a dud that this wasn’t necessary.

10 Likes

Double points if the number of characters matches, okay?

6 Likes

Impressive list of footnotes in this thing.

15 Likes

Footnotes and all. Quite an impressive achievement, especially compared to Nunes’s crayon-festooned drivel that couldn’t pass muster with a ten year old. In the battle of the memos, the best Republicans can hope for is a mercy ruling.

The Page FISA application was approved three different times by three different deputy AGs. That would have to have been quite the conspiracy.

ETA: @Chelsea530. You beat me to it.

30 Likes

NOW PLEASE STOP ASKING US ABOUT GUNS and also you must now be 21 or older to talk to any member of the government.

15 Likes

If there aren’t plagiarized passages, it’s not up to republicun snuff…

12 Likes

I just finished skimming it, and the general drift of it is not surprising: the DOJ did its homework and crossed every T like you would expect. It would be a fun parlor game to make the most reasonable guess at what the redactions are. Speaking of doing homework, its as if Lisa Simpson went up against Nelson in a memo writing contest. Not that it matters to the citizens of Dumbfuckistan. They will react to this like they did to the Cato guy giving immigration stats at CPAC. A pack of howler monkeys would be a more receptive audience.

29 Likes

Good grief. Now dems are being accused of colluding with the government. The government?!

But on Saturday, committee chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) accused Democrats of colluding with the government in a “cover up” of information as he announced the memo had been posted online

“We actually wanted this out,” Nunes told an audience at the Conservative Political Action Conference. “It’s clear evidence that the Democrats are not only covering this up, but they’re also colluding with parts of the government to cover this up.”

According to a senior Democratic committee official, the Democrats on the Intelligence panel have received the memo, and are reviewing it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/house-panel-releases-democrats-memo-defending-fbi-surveillance-of-ex-trump-campaign-aide/2018/02/24/4cff92f4-164f-11e8-92c9-376b4fe57ff7_story.html?utm_term=.8aaece2806e4&wpisrc=al_news__alert-politics--alert-national&wpmk=1

43 Likes

[quote=“spencersmom, post:7, topic:68963”]
Okay, it’s been several weeks now since the NunesNonsense was released but I don’t recall a single redaction in that farce of a document.
[/quote]There was no need to redact fiction.

The Democratic response, however, merges the FBI investigation that began in July 2016 with things Mueller is doing right now. I especially like the part on p. 3 regarding September 2016: "By then, the FBI had already opened sub-inquiries into [REDACTED] individuals linked to the Trump campaign: [REDACTED NAME(S) and position(s)] and…Carter Page.

How many and who? Manafort, Gates, Jared, Jr.? The redaction probably has space for two other names and positions?

24 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available