Discussion: Senate GOP Eyes Major Change To Push Through Trump Judges

Once the Republicans blocked a legitimate appointment to SCOTUS for almost a year, it became quite obvious their lust for power knows no limits. This latest outrage almost makes me yawn…easy to see coming.

Only question is do the Dens realize what they’re dealing with and will they act accordingly? I will only actively support those Dems who fight for our positions, not those who still believe in coming to some mealy-mouthed compromise with the Republicans.

So, hang on for now. But when Dems get the majority, they damn well better move fast in voting rights, redistricting, and appointing judges. No compromises and no whining. Just punch back for once.

13 Likes

A much higher percent of red state poor and Trump supporters are on SSI which Republicans want to cut way back on. They will pay a price.
If anyone here still thinks Trump will be taken down by a person they appointed to investigate the Russian interference and collusion, I still think you’re in for a huge disappointment. Their insurance policy is that Sessions and his deputy have Mueller on a leash like an organ grinder monkey.

4 Likes

From five long years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/lets-just-say-it-the-republicans-are-the-problem/2012/04/27/gIQAxCVUlT_story.html?utm_term=.36f40545b840

11 Likes

And here’s the reason why they’re all sticking with Trump. To get as much of their agenda passed as possible. They’ve got a political trifecta and by gum they’re going to use it.

7 Likes

“We must not allow our Democrat friends to engage in tactics that we have used successfully in the past.”

8 Likes

If I bought into your dystopian cynicism I’d have to move to Canada

Robert Mueller, the former F.B.I. director named to investigate the Trump campaign’s connections to Russia, will have broad discretion to prosecute any crimes he uncovers. But an equally important part of his mandate is lesser known: his duty to write a report on his findings.

4 Likes

Of course they are, as they are not “conservative” in any sense. A better compound adjective would be chaotic, power-mongering nihilists.

6 Likes

I first met Chuck Grassley in 1976 while he was running for reelection to the U.S. House of Representatives for the first time. During that time I met and talked with him on several occasions. It was my opinion at that time that Chuck Grassley was the dumbest, least thoughtful, and most smarmy public officer holder that I had ever met. There has been little or nothing to change my mind since that time only that he is smarmyer now than he was then.

10 Likes

These are the instructions that the KGB has been giving them for the past 20 years. RRRP (Russian Red Republican Party)

2 Likes

Did you read this at Vox?

As special counsel, Mueller will have the legal authority to prosecute crimes. (An independent commission, which some Democrats have also called for, would not.) However, Mueller can still be dismissed at any time by Rosenstein, who can in turn be dismissed by Trump.

As Vox’s Jennifer Williams explained, the special counsel “is appointed directly by the attorney general (not an independent three-judge panel, like before) and — this is the important part — is thus directly answerable to the attorney general. This person can pursue criminal indictments in grand jury investigations, but the attorney general can fire them at any time and overrule any decisions they make when it comes to investigating or prosecuting the case.”

2 Likes

A link would have been helpful, but I found an article which includes not only what you cited but also this.

The Justice Department’s decision to appoint former FBI Director Robert Mueller as a special counsel charged with investigating possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is a win for Democrats, a new blow to a reeling White House, and a clear sign that the scandal that has engulfed the administration will only accelerate in the weeks and months ahead.

3 Likes

I sincerely hope you’re correct in your optimism. I fear otherwise.

2 Likes

The Senate GOP has one rule: they do as they want and don’t want the Democrats to do anything. Period. The Trump “presidency” offers a useful lesson in this jaw dropping hypocrisy for future reference.

4 Likes

What a bunch of a**holes. Unbelievable.

3 Likes

It’s fascinating actually… The Republican method of governing is similar to all of their other policies. The “less is more” philosophy, of less regulation, less government, etc. leads to short term gains at the cost of long term issues. De-regulating banks, for example, lead to short term surges is stock prices, but long term, tend to result in market crashes and devastation. Comparatively, President Obama’s increases in regulations stymied economic growth to a degree, but maintained that recovery over longer period of time. Not a 3% growth, only 2%, but consistent for 7 years… A much better play for people worried about the country in 20 years, as opposed to just the next election cycle.

This policy seems like the same sort of short-sighted thinking. The GOP eliminates the filibuster on Supreme Court vacancies (which they used successfully, when they weren’t in power), now they’ll eliminate another check on Executive power (because they hold it for the moment). It’ll be great to stack the court for the moment… but when they lose power, either because of the inevitable back and forth of politics, or as an honest to god backlash to their current stupidity, they’ll have no remaining tools to combat a Democratic majority. They’ll cry about the Imperial Presidency, but will have no one but themselves to blame for having held a firesale on political protections.

The fact that they are doing all this, while simultaneously pushing a legislative agenda that will cost them power in both Congress and the White House, is astonishing. I’m not sure if they’re panicking, or just blind to the grave they are digging for themselves.

I suppose it’s entirely possible that they realize that this is their last at bat, and they’re going to squeeze as much as they can out of this fruit before demographics and political backlash peel their fingers off, permanently. But I can’t help but wonder if they are actually so deluded and personally unaware of the fact that, not only are they willfully committing every crime they accused President Obama of, but they are simultaneously stripping Congress of the only hand-brakes they had.

2 Likes

Once again; “They can dish it out, but they can’t take it.”

Cowards.

2 Likes

No but if you cant read Russian you will not be able to vote.
So everything is ok.

2 Likes

C’mon, folks you forget,

IOKIYAR

2 Likes

Bloodless coup proceeding as planned.

5 Likes

we are heading for civil war. republicans don’t recognize the validity of anything not republican. civil society can’t persist under these circumstances.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available