Discussion: Trump Seeking To Speak To Charlottesville Victim's Family

You can be sure that someone is insisting that Trump make this call. It can’t be easy for someone who completely lacks empathy to offer condolences. What’s he going to say? “Yeah, I remember when my weakling brother Fred succumbed to alcoholism. What a loser. I hope your daughter wasn’t a fat slut, like I’ve seen on the internet. Even if she was, I guess you must feel bad about this. Bye.” And even if he reads a script that someone handed him, he’ll still ad lib.

5 Likes

He really did and I think he already killed his presidency with that presser. And then his agenda just unwound. I swear he’s not long for the office. There’s not one damn thing he can do but quit.

7 Likes

find a “convenient” time

Huh?

Thought the fucker was on vacation.

6 Likes

My read on this is that he doesn’t really want to talk to them. It’s yet another attempt by his staff to humanize him and they can’t guarantee that he will go through with the call. They need to muddy up the condition under which the call might be made. Let’s be honest - the only person they would be inconveniencing is Trump, and his schedule is full up with following up on how Fox News is reporting on his defense of Confederate statues. He’s a busy man.

4 Likes

You mean Republicans. No point in implying any difference between them.

2 Likes

I think even Joe McCarthy had the self-awareness to keep clear and not offer fake condolences & understanding to the families who experienced loss when their loved ones killed themselves after being blacklisted.

I’d much prefer if the level of this administrations tone deafness resulted in this family getting a hugely-big insanely inappropriate Edible Arrangements and a clutch of Mylar balloons displaying messages like “Congratulations!” & “Happy Birthday”. At least then they would have fruit to snack on.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Who’d a thought Paul Simon’s lyrics would come to be so timely. Thanks for that!

2 Likes

Right you are. In a war, one does not worry that the enemy will propagandize the damage your bombs have done to them.

2 Likes

I’ll support those parents in whatever decision they make. They are certainly owed that degree of freedom.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t even let that motherfucker use my bathroom.

2 Likes

Tone deaf. Clueless.

2 Likes

Memorial service – funerals for her and the fallen officers are this weekend I believe

2 Likes

Trump’s beliefs are the polar opposite of what Heather Heyer believed in. She had empathy and compassion for people in need. Donald Trump is a worthless idiot who thinks gold spray paint can be used as a cure for cancer.

4 Likes

I’m so effin’ sick of this effin’ mofo and I am not one to swear. Whatever joke, prank, punishment or whatever is enough . Do those on the other side , the non white supremacist, nazi supporting side of the “both sides” have to give at the same time to make him go away? This is complete BS now. This story just makes me so angry, how could he even show his face or, if it is a ploy to make him seem less of a jackass, those cooking this up are as reprehensible as he is.

1 Like

I suspect it will be a phone call, unrecorded. Then Trump will slip in mentions at every opportunity about how Heather’s mother had thanked him and how much she appreciated his words.

No recording of the call, so no one can dispute whatever future claim he wants to make.

And, as others have said, probably also some offer of a tacky holiday-style gift.

4 Likes

Best in show.

OK, after posting this, I saw Ms. Heyer’s mother, Susan Bro, on MSNBC. She said she had received a call from the White House, but was too involved in arrangements and activities to take it. Said she felt bad about it. She seems like a humble, thoughtful person who didn’t want to say on national teevee that she didn’t want to talk to the President. But it was pretty clear. She was spending time giving an interview with MSNBC when she could have given that time to a phone call with Trump.

So, my original point. Never seen anything like this before.

8 Likes

In Virginia, one is allowed to record without informing the other party, or getting that party’s consent.

3 Likes

Well I hope he does the right thing and spends equal time with her killer.

4 Likes

What if they say they will be glad to sit down and talk with him just so long as he brings along some of those good people who were just there to protest the removal of the statue?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available