Discussion: Doug Jones: 'I Think We Need To Move On' From Trump Misconduct Allegations

Yes, with this I agree. He may change his stance if others pursue the matter, eventually giving him the cover to do so.

Still tone-deaf, however.

1 Like

Re: 2

Doing that is somewhat dangerous, because unfortunately it keeps in play that tired adage “both parties are the same”.

2 Likes

Yes, but he’s a United States Senator. He ought to be able to artfully withhold comment without insulting half or more of the voting population by telling them their concerns are not “real.”

7 Likes

I get what Jones is trying to say (that sexual assault and sexual predators aren’t an important issue to Alabama voters) but when he’s talking outside of those kitchen-table issues that got him elected, he’s really bad at messaging on the national stage. He was on a podcast earlier this week and when asked if the tax bill vote should be held off until he’s seated he basically said “oh, that’s none of my business, they can do what they need to do, I’m waiting for my election to be certified before making any decisions like that”. Tip for Doug Jones: when someone lobs you a softball, hit it.

7 Likes

Because he didn’t only win the election because Roy Moore was trying to have sex with a bunch of teenage girls, he also won because he ran as a DEMOCRAT, which energized the Dem base in Alabama, especially black women. If he had run as a “Republican lite” candidate, he would have lost by a large margin. As someone else on this page said, does anyone honestly believe that Jones would have turned out all of those black women voters who put him over the top if he had made a statement like this before he won the election?
He ran as a pro-choice, anti-racist Democrat in Teabagger Heaven Alabama, and won because the Dems, and especially our African-American base, despise Donald Trump, and despise the Republican policies aimed to do them harm. It’s a little late to start acting like the illegitimate spawn of Joe Lieberman and Zell Miller now after the election.

3 Likes

How so? You are forgetting that you’re talking about Alabama. This is a state that does not believe both parties are the same. This is a state that believes the GOP is superior.

If Doug Jones can drag Alabama (Alabama!) into a position where they believe both parties are the same, that would be a miracle. The mere suggestion that this is possible would get you laughed at by serious people a year ago.

1 Like

[quote=“nineo, post:79, topic:66452, full:true”]Things you should be flexible about? You should consider not joining a fight for public opinion (that your party is already winning) when most of the voters that you represent desperately want to get back to things they consider more important and away from their moment of national humiliation.

More important things - like how the party currently in power is neglecting sick children to enact tax cuts for millionaires. That’s a message that will resonate much more widely in Alabama.
[/quote]

I appreciate your answer but you’ll see that my question was more general. It was not particularly about Moore or Alabama. It was about the general notion of “purity” that you invoked.

1 Like

I think we all can agree we need to move on from those sexual assault allegation leveled against President Trump.

The next step in that “moving on” process involves LEOs investigating the perpetrator and then filing charges if needed. It appears as if our glorious leaders in the House are not as “law and orderish” as they once pretended to be. And even one future Senator seems to think sexual assault accusations against Trump aren’t worthy of his time.

> Alabama. Can’t find much intelligence there.

1 Like

“He was elected with those allegations at front and center,” Jones said, mirroring an argument that White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders made last week in Trump’s defense.

He was also elected with a lot more allegations at him. However, the follow up question that Jones should have been asked is: “Does he believe the women who made those allegations?”

5 Likes

I know you’re from Alabama, but the #metoo movement and African Americans got you elected and you just spit at both of them by backing this administration on this issue in basically your first public appearance. Great instincts. Dems are definitely going to blow the midterms thinking they can turn Trump voters (that they don’t need), instead of turning out their voters. AGAIN.

3 Likes

I gave multiple explanations as to what I mean when I say purity. I was as general as possible. You’ve responded to exactly one word… I’m really not sure what you’re looking for here my friend.

To spell it out more crassly - you should be content (not resigned to - content. Happy!) to say shit you don’t believe in in order to get health insurance for children. You should be able to say “I’m in the KKK and slap my wife every day” on national TV if it gets sick kids health insurance. You should be able to say “I don’t want to call for the President’s resignation” for the sake of moderating Alabama. That’s where I stand.

5 Likes

a) Who was his opponent again?

b) He will be asked the Trump allegations question again. After he repeats that previous answer, it will be interesting to see what his answer will be to a follow up question .

2 Likes

Damn, you are funny.

2 Likes

HAHA

“hello Orkin”

2 Likes

This is why dems lose when a dem says something the voters disagree with they are ready to attack and cut them loose. Dems got to look at the bigger picture.

7 Likes

No problem. I’ll re-state.

Here is what you wrote that caught my eye:

Purity is defeat. Flexibility and the emphasize on common ground is victory. It’s as simple as that.

If you now say that insisting on a policy defense of “sick children” is not “purity” whereas insisting on a policy defense of abused girls and women is, then I’m still a bit confused as to where and how you draw your lines.

It is all in the word “purity,” and that’s why I asked about it.

2 Likes

All of the people you are trying to appease in your home state of Alabama with statements like this, Mr. Jones (I’d call you “Senator” but I think that the GOP will bend over backwards to keep you from being seated for as long as possible) are all of the people who voted against you and will never vote for you in a million fucking years. They will vote for a Republican even if he rapes babies while wearing a Klan uniform.
No one has to be “pure”, but stop trying to reach out to those mythical Trump and GOP voters whose minds you think you can change. They are NEVER going to change. It is who they are, and who they will remain. Bring the people to the polls who usually don’t vote in large numbers, and start being afraid of YOUR base - you know, the people who busted their asses to put YOU into office - the way the GOP is deathly afraid of their base.

3 Likes

Let me stop you right there. My first response was this: “Inflexibility. A lack of an ability to strategize or compromise in a world that does not yet contain the ideal conditions you seek. Unreasonable. Emotional and well-intentioned but without a realistic plan of moving change forward. Populist”

You have entirely ignored this response save one word. I’ll happily debate. I won’t repeat myself because you’re pretending not to understand.

8 Likes

Exactly, Trump will not resign unless forced to, and allegations can’t force him. The stuff Mueller is working on is not “allegations”, it’s documented. Nothing wrong with giving Trump’s accusers TV time and such to bring down Trump’s ratings, which makes him easier to impeach and convict. But demanding he resign due to these allegations is a road that goes nowhere, focus on issues. And that includes harassment issues for sure, but the demanding he resign stuff without concrete evidence actually helps Trump.

Of course, for him to say otherwise would be real foolish. And almost every Democrat has voted with Republicans on some issues, and vice versa. Blanket statements are a sign of someone who is saying they won’t even evaluate the issue, they will just vote party. I have no use for people like that.

4 Likes

Oh I bet he wants to MoveOn, he wants us all to think move on there’s nothing here. DS! What this coward wants to avoid is a constitutional crisis, he don’t want to be put on the spot to choose country are partyline . And we know where you stand you traitor you’ll stand on the side with Trump king Trump who wants to fire Mueller, try it you traitor. All Republicans that have fallen in lockstep with Donald Trump are traitors to their country this isn’t even about party lines anymore true Republicans would never take a stance like this never. This is along the line of creating a fascist state you traitor.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available