Discussion: Doug Jones: 'I Think We Need To Move On' From Trump Misconduct Allegations

uhhhh no.

If anything, that’s a prime example of being disingenuous.

Now I’m with you on the ‘Trump should be impeached’ question, but the person that he’s going to be working with ait W, W’s daddy or even Reagan. He’s working with a guy who thinks its cool to be a giant id.

Which Jones will learn sooner, rather than later…

There are millions of people who voted for Trump, and now feel like they have been had. Not his base, they are loyal no matter what. But LOTS of people in the middle feel like they were screwed, and if the election were held again today, Hillary would win. The numbers are there now, his ratings are WAY down. She would win like Jones did, lots of Republicans not even voting, or writing in someone. And some who were not sure and picked Trump because he was different would vote Hillary now. It would not take many people at all in those key districts to turn the election the other way. So I’d say midterms should be pretty successful for Democrats.

1 Like

Surely you give me too much credit!

1 Like

I’m sorry. I’m sure Doug Jones is a great guy, but as soon as he starts talking about bipartisanship and cooperating with the GOP members in the Senate I almost double over in laughter. Mr. Jones, the GOP does not care about bipartisanship and cooperation. They only care about power. They only care about themselves and their corporate masters. You cannot expect bipartisanship and cooperation from a party this is ideologically intransigent, which the GOP is, and has been.
If you are saying this just to appear fair-minded on the Sunday news shows, that’s fine. But if you truly believe what you are saying, then I suggest you wake the fuck up.

4 Likes

So all the voters mobilized because Jones was the anti sexual misconduct candidate will be mobilized again because Jones gives sexual misconduct a pass.

I think I just sprained something in my head.

5 Likes

Exactly, that’s a perfect word. I’m happy to be disingenuous to get sick kids some health insurance. In fact, let me be more clear - I’d lie my face off, and claim to hate every principle I hold dear, in order to get sick kids health insurance.

That’s why I’m ok with a democrat simply declining to attack Trump (over something most people already blame Trump for anyway, and for which there is no current legal recourse) in order to keep the focus of his state on the refusal to fund CHIP and off of intra-party conflicts. Because big picture, fuck our petty egos. Get sick kids health insurance.

2 Likes

Of course they should be pretty successful for Democrats. But if Dems don’t stand up for their base and instead continue to worry more about bringing back working class white people, they’re going to end up alienating huge swaths of their base, kill their momentum and make their gains as minimal as possible. Just one election cycle I’d like to see Democrats focus on their own base rather than taking them for granted and focusing on the mythical swing voters that make up a much smaller portion of the electorate than anyone pretends. Yes, Trump’s numbers are in the pits and has a lot of Republican voters wishing they had nominated and voted for someone else. But that was true before the election too. Don’t think they’ll choose a Democrat, especially Hillary, over Trump if they have to make that choice again. If you ran it back right now, yes, she’d probably win because you only have to flip a handful of razor thin states and people who stayed home would show up to vote against Trump. But the midterms won’t have that option. Dems need to get people out to deliver a fuck you to the Republican party, which they suck at. And they suck at it because they love to try and win over the unwinnable instead of working to get out their people who stay home when they don’t have real champions in the race.

Edit: And make no mistake, African Americans (2/3 of whom were women) didn’t turn out in greater numbers than the 2012 presidential election because they love Doug Jones. They did it because they hate Roy Moore and Trump. If he wants to keep those voters fired up for congressional elections in 2018, he can’t go proving the point that he’ll turn on their interests to try and placate Trump voters.

3 Likes

Yes, the allegations were front and center - for about 7 1/2 minutes, until the media decided it was much more important to report on some emails than a presidential candidate who loves to grab women’s crotches against their will.
Funny, I do not remember the media being as indignant and offended by Trump’s behavior and the accusations of harassment against him by many women as they were oh-so-shocked - SHOCKED!, I tell you! - by the accusations against Al Franken, which were screaming full-screen headlines on the Net and in print for weeks.

4 Likes

Democrats suck at messaging, they really have sucked for the last 30 years.

1 Like

There are places and times for directing one’s political chi into a forward strike, and situations for diverting the opposition’s over-committed momentum into a controlling hold.

2 Likes

The reality is that in Alabama, Trump is God, or at very least God’s Prophet. There is only so much Jones can do before having crosses burned in his front yard.

Look what happened to the Evangelical author that dared to Speak against Trump.

2 Likes

As a sometime member of the “far left”, I’d register a distinction between being a Democratic Senator from Alabama and one from, say, California, Delaware, or Connecticut.

6 Likes

THIS, PLEASE!!!
And thank you. That’s all I need to say.

2 Likes

Wow. The honeymoon is over and he hasn’t even been sworn in. Imagine what Moore as a winner might have said to this question. First he’d invoke god and condemn abortion then he’d do argle bargle.

7 Likes

The barf inducing normalization of the miscreant Trump continues apace…those enabling this disgrace to America are no better than the clown that mortified reasonable people every day.

3 Likes

So let me get this straight: the party that nominated, fundraised for, and cheer on a pedophile for Senate will now have the moral high ground over a man who declined to attack the President because he didn’t want to become entangled in a national public relations battle that the Dems are winning already?

I think I just sprained something in my head. We gotta think a little harder here.

5 Likes

The only thing missing there is the word “Grasshopper”!

3 Likes

It’s not a question of what I’d be cool with. I’m not from Alabama and, even if I were, I’m not the only voter. Democracy is about allowing people to choose who they want to represent them. Implicit in that concept is the fact that people are allowed to make bad choices.

2 Likes

Ha LibTards! JonEs will deFinitely be reelecteD becAuse he StanDs with Trump raTher than FailEd loseR Schumer.

2 Likes

Give the crowd a good titillating headline on an otherwise quiet news day, and then stand back and watch what they do as if they’re programmed to respond. In this case a guy who’s not yet in office, whose election was part of the oncoming blue wave is being pilloried in yet another gasbag fest.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available