Discussion: GOP Leader Sen. Cornyn Casts Doubt On Legitimacy Of Mueller Probe

This is a good thread.

9 Likes

Just posted on Cornyn’s contact page: How dare you threaten the Mueller investigation, with your ‘let’s see what the conclusion is first’ view. This is crazy on many levels. Judges, even former judges like yourself, don’t engage in results-oriented reasoning.
People of this country want to know who, if anyone, colluded with Russia. What have you done to protect our nation? Nothing.
You are an embarrassment to true patriots. I’m sick and tired of you putting party over country. Again, I hope to see you defeated.

I am very very very pissed

12 Likes

“Rodent”?

2 Likes

@gr
I’m suggesting that the Trump White House is behaving like nascent autocracies.

It’s more of a Klepto-kakistocracy but why quibble. As long as Congress agrees it’s, well, all cake. Right?

By the way, Trump does have an army – the US Army.

Whenever multiple top brass telegraphs — publicly! — that it will, essentially, take Cockholster’s orders as Commander in Chief “under advisement,” I suspect the Chief’s command is not so much as he might think.

He is already prosecuting people who protested against him during his swearing in.

Not to question the nefariousness of everyone’s favorite Dotard but … Can you name one?

I’m stumped.

3 Likes

Susan Hennessey from Lawfare Blog

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/942163456278581248

8 Likes

I see nothing but death and destruction coming. I am prepared.

Of the 234 people arrested or charged in the protests, 20 have had their cases dismissed and another 20 have pleaded to lesser charges, often misdemeanor rioting carrying a fine and community service. That leaves 194 people, including Wright, who’ve decided to challenge the charges by agreeing to a trial

They could have walked if they wanted but decided to fight the charges. Good on them.

5 Likes

This is response to his message to constituents about poinsettias. Dear god.

It’s hard to be sure what the Republicans are doing. I see even Bill Palmer is hedging his bets a little. But it is definitely possible.

What I would like to know is what happens to any sealed indictments if Mueller is fired. Who has the authority to have those unsealed?

1 Like

Would that be the same army that gets its ass kicked every year in Afghanistan? Or the one that couldn’t win in Vietnam?

They are powerless against asymmetrical warfare.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, John Cornyn! Whoda thunk that the Republican party would become comprised of traitorous scum willing the sell the country out to Russia. Selling the country out to defense contractors and getting us into wars of choice to benefit said defense contractors has been the Republicans’ stock in trade for decades, but Russia. I am gobsmacked. I know that assholes like Cornyn are craven and indifferent and traitorous, but I would not have guessed Russia. Does anybody know what’s behind this sea change?

1 Like

More to the point: Remember when Rethugliklans thought punishing Afghanistan and Iraq for the sins of 15 Saudis, a couple of guys from the United Arab Emirates, an Egyptian and a Lebanese was a good idea?

You’d never guess it was because there was money to be had.

Now the klepto-kakistocracy has revealed itself to be in league with Russians (and many others) to destroy our country.

Again, you’d never guess it was because there was money to be had.

4 Likes

I’m aware of this. Just as historically low poll numbers are not preventing the Republican tax cut scam from coming to a vote and being passed into law next week, historically low poll numbers are doing nothing to dissuade Trump’s congressional Republican sycophants from demanding Mueller’s firing and will do nothing to dissuade Trump from eventually firing him.

1 Like

Thanks, @tena. I honestly didn’t know.

As an attorney, don’t you think they all should’ve demanded jury trials?

Greetings fellow old man: I did march in protest back in the 60’s – against the war and regime, never the troops – and also agree (again) that I do not believe the stakes have been as big as they are now since the civil war.

NB: Protesting the Vietnam war confers no special status – we’re talking a half century ago for cry’n out loud – but we are now kicked up a big notch and must respond at that level or watch our great experiment in democracy go down to ignominious ruin at the hand(s) of hucksters and imbeciles.

5 Likes

Serious question here: I assume that Mueller is keeping Schniederman of NYC apprised of the evidence he has on trump et al. I hope that Mueller doesn’t get fired, but all this evidence doesn’t just go into the shredder if he does, right?

I know that Sessions would do his weasely best to keep it from the light of day, but could he really just get rid of all of this proof of these crimes?

Evangelical?

Being a “good Texan” I just sent my illustrious senator an email(I will call tomorrow) reminding him that Law and Order is not just for the poor and dark skinned that no man even the President(or perhaps a Senator from Texas) is above the Law.
I know it probably wont make a difference but if enough of us tell him what we think it may put the fear of being out of his cushy job into him.

5 Likes

Thanks, @tena. I honestly didn’t know.

As an attorney, would you recommend they should all demand to be tried separately in jury trials?

Yes. Below is the “No one is above the law” action plan that paw mentioned, organized by MoveOn and other groups:

NOBODY IS ABOVE THE LAW—MUELLER FIRING RAPID RESPONSE

The page includes links to events around the country. There also is a place on the page to search for an event by zip code.

NOBODY IS ABOVE THE LAW—MUELLER FIRING RAPID RESPONSE
Donald Trump is publicly considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller, the person leading the Department of Justice investigation of possible illegal actions by Donald Trump and members of his presidential campaign, and the efforts to conceal those activities.

This would be a constitutional crisis for our country. It would demand an immediate and unequivocal response to show that we will not tolerate abuse of power from Donald Trump.

Our response in the minutes and hours following a power grab will dictate what happens next, and whether Congress—the only body with the constitutional power and obligation to rein Trump in from his rampage—will do anything to stand up to him.

That’s why we’re preparing to hold emergency “Nobody is Above the Law” rallies around the country in the event they are needed.

Use the map or search below by ZIP code to find an event near you, or create one if none exists.

Rallies will begin hours after news breaks of a Mueller firing:

If Mueller is fired BEFORE 2 P.M. local time —> events will begin @ 5 P.M. local time
If Mueller is fired AFTER 2 P.M. local time —> events will begin @ noon local time the following day
This is the general plan—please confirm details on your event page, as individual hosts may tailor their events to their local plan.
This is our moment to stand up to protect our democracy. Let’s mobilize to show that we won’t let Donald Trump become the authoritarian that he aspires to be. The law applies to all of us, and it’s essential that it also applies to the most powerful people in our country.

Use the search tool to find an event near you, or create one if none exists.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available