Discussion: GOP Leader Sen. Cornyn Casts Doubt On Legitimacy Of Mueller Probe

Ummmm…FOXnews.

More of a slight course correction. I came to the same conclusion, and only because your train got you there first for me to read. So, thanks back atya.

Under any normal circumstances this would be an astounding statement from a “lawmaker”.

The bitches will NOT succeed!

WE WILL DEMAND JUSTICE!!!

That Trump motherfucker is NOT ABOVE OUR COUNTRY"s LAWS. PERIOD!

She looks as if she has a serious personality disorder!

Look at those disturbing eyes!

So sad, Sarah!

Mueller is 5 steps ahead of the traitors. Fools were not smart enough to cover their tracks. They are in desperation mode. They know they’ve been caught.
Buckle up. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Attention Sheep!

Run for office- the 2018 elections are less than a year away! And if Trump and Louie Gohmert can get elected what’s to stop a qualified candidate?

Become a Precinct Committee Officer, sometimes it’s a Ward officer. You’ll meet with neighborhood Dems and get out the vote. Find good citizens willing to run for office.

Register people to vote. If you need to help people overcome the GOP-led Voter run-around help them do that.

Run for School Board. Make sure Civics is being properly taught. Think a majority of America knows how government works? Just 26% of eligible voters in America voted for Trump and half of eligible voters stayed home last November. Today’s 12-year olds will be voting for President in 8 years.

Run for Mayor, City Council, County Commissioner, Borough Assembly.

Get appointed to your Planning Commission. Know everything going on in your community.

Run for State Legislature or Congress. The next census is in 2020, just over 2 years from now, when we redraw Congressional Districts.

And get rid of GERRYMANDERING! Safe GOP seats gave us such intellectual giants as Louie Gohmert and Steve King. In most cases it’s the state Legislature that draws Congressional boundaries. Make it FAIR, OPEN and HONEST! We can do this!

Overturn Citizens United. Money is NOT speech and Corporations are NOT people- at least not until Texas executes one, and overturn any voter ID laws that are clearly an attempt to disenfranchise the poor and people of color.

“If you’re disappointed by your elected officials, grab a clipboard, get some signatures, and run for office yourself.”
-President Barack Obama

“Those who would purposely mislead or seek to confuse others are bad people. Worse, they are evil.”
-Kathleen Parker

You Got To Run!

What are the Democrats saying, where are their responses to assholes like Cornyn and all their attacks against Mueller?

As of this morning, dating back to the beginning of December, the twitter feeds of Pelosi, Schumer, Gillibrand, Kaine, Warren, and Sanders don’t make a single, solitary reference to Mueller or the attacks on him and his team. And all of these people are very active on twitter on other topics.

The only reasonable conclusion to draw is that none of these people think it’s anything to get worked up about.

1 Like

The GOP knows it will be prosecuted under the RICO Act.

1 Like

Yet you think it’s a great reason to get worked up over assuming they don’t give a shit.

Yep. Many folks view this in context of some TV crime drama. It doesn’t work that way in real life or real time.

Good summary. It really is what’s going on. They want an oligarchy with the appearance of democracy. It is shocking to see treason and the subversion of our Republic taking place right before our eyes, but one can’t ignore reality. No question Trump would like to be Putin: the Russian murderer is his fantasy role model.

McConnell’s Merrick Garland maneuver was the inescapable sea change for me that the Repubs in Congress care more about power than law. A real Rubicon. That fucker should be censured if the Democrats ever regain the Senate. He is as bad an actor as Trump, maybe even worse for his systematic undermining of the Senate as “the more mature” house of Congress.

I’m a big Roman history fan, as you can tell from my avatar. This so reminds me of the historic conflict between the plebs and the patricians and the fall of the Republic. It’s not an exact parallel, but “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” We are living through enormously depressing times. I just can’t bring myself to roll over and play dead as this rogue party tries to destroy our Republic.

2 Likes

Yet you think it’s a great reason to get worked up over assuming they don’t give a shit.

All of these people have been very active in criticizing Trump and the GOP for the tax scam, for LGBT discrimination, for 7 banned words, for repealing net neutrality and other current topics since early December, so explain why they are literally silent on twitter about the ongoing character assassination campaign being waged by Cornyn and others in the GOP on Mueller.

Paying out enough rope for Cormyn et al to hang themselves ?

Paying out enough rope for Cormyn et al to hang themselves?

That’s a reasonable guess, but it’s based on the premise that Mueller will eventually release documents and/or issue charges against Trump. That in turn is based on the premise that Trump won’t find some Bork-like toady to seize on these bullshit allegations of impropriety to fire Mueller. As Josh has already noted, it seems pretty clear that the grounds are being prepped for exactly that purpose.

If Mueller is indeed fired, what then? Sure, there will be a firestorm of indignation from Democrats, but the result will still be the same: a significant procedural roadblock put in the way of finding out what occurred during 2015/2016. Surely nobody here thinks that this Republican Congress will do a damn thing to re-ignite a Mueller-like probe—their passage of the tax bill and support for NN repeal is proof enough that the GOPers don’t give a single shit about public support, or lack thereof.

Perhaps the Dems are counting on broad anger resulting from a Mueller firing to be sufficient to re-take at least one house of Congress, but that’s not a sure thing, either. All in all, if the Dem strategy is that holding their fire is “paying out enough rope for the GOP to hang itself,” it seems a risky bet to me. Considering the fact that it will be January 2019 at the very earliest before the Dems can truly control anything in Congress, the “paying out enough rope” tactic allows Trump and the GOP to inflict a huge amount of damage during the next 13 months.

There is another possible reason the Dems have been as quiet as they’ve been so far: Mueller has privately asked them to hold off on making a concerted public defense of him and his team, and has done so because he’s very close to issuing new indictments or revealing information that will completely change the situation, and knows the chances of him getting fired before then are essentially zero.

Mr Cornyn, why would you and the republican Senate approve a man so corrupt. You told us this man was great multiple times over 20 years. Now he is a corrupt. Tell me, were you lying then or are you lying now.

2 Likes

Bull stuff.

Any attorney in Congress that makes a move on Mueller should have disbarment proceedings launched.

for a true Trumper, Democrats defending Mueller will just prove, he is “their man”. That’s their way of thinking. As someone else up in the thread wrote, what about the praise Cornyn and others heaped on Mueller earlier ? It’s well documented.

1 Like

While that may be true, let’s don’t forget that the Obama hatred was borne out of latent racism and bigotry, while our anger is over one party gradually destroying our democratic institutions in a blatant (and hopefully, unsuccessful) attempt to maintain a political power that they can’t achieve from playing by the rules.

Just a slight difference…

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available