Discussion: Paul Ryan to American Public: Do Your Patriotic Duty, Have More Kids

What a whack job. The payroll cap and that more of the national income as a percentage not being exposed to payroll taxes are the only pressure on Social Security.

But the GOP is already pivoting to use Federal revenue shortfalls that will explode under their tax scam, as the excuse to go after your Social Security and Medicare.

Ryan has had a hard-on in eliminating the New Deal since he was drinking at keggers in college (his words).

7 Likes

Parents Magazine says having a baby from pre-natal to post-partum care costs $8,000. Ryan is dismantling the ACA, has not reauthorized the Children’s health insurance program, or done anything to help working mothers find affordable daycare.

If he wants Americans to have more kids, he should think about how to help working families who want kids, rather than billionaires and corporations.

7 Likes

He treats children like they’re to be cogs in the machinery of big corporations, rather than as precious unique individuals.

Once they’re born, where’s the healthcare, the educational opportunities, and the jobs? Oh that’s right…destroyed by Republicans. Now they won’t even have the Internet to drown their sorrows.

4 Likes

It’s just that Ryan gets to me. As a young guy he benefited from Social Security when his dad died. It got him tuition to attend Miami University in Oxford, Ohio 5 miles from where I grew up. It is not a cheap college by any means. So he got some major help from Uncle Sam and now he is turning on the hand that gave him a boost up. He helps to damage the ACA which gave 40 million people health insurance for the first time and then declared it broken. Yeah, broken because he and his cronies and trump broke it. Fuckers. And now he is on the verge of handing all our wealth to people already obscenely rich and leaving next to nothing for those in need. The man is cruel. His actions are why I cannot and won’t (until they act in a sane manner) support republicans. It’s very close to necessary for taking to the streets in huge demonstrations to make these bastards see what they have done.
edit
and ma hamhock is beyond condescending.

5 Likes

My own son -who would be an amazing parent- now says this. He has a wonderful Dad and wanted to be one until recently.

Ah, the paradox of conservative orthodoxy: We want you to have more (especially white) babies, but we’re going to block any programs (health insurance, day care, etc, etc) that make having kids doable.

4 Likes

In other words, subsidize our tax cuts for a generation or your parents’ (not to mention your own) benefits get cut. No wonder he hasn’t fooled anyone with his “wonk” impersonation: he’s a garden variety kidnapper.

1 Like

“We have something like a 90 percent increase in the retirement population in America, but only a 19 percent increase in the working population in America,”

Notice how this weasel fuck used percentages to hide the truth? He appears to be talking about an increase over time resulting in our current population. I have no idea what time period he’s talking about and it doesn’t matter for the point I’m going to make so let’s just say it’s “1990 to 2016”.

So the claim is we’ve had a 90 percent increase in retirement-age people since 1990 but “only” a 19% increase in working-age population in that same time frame. Here comes the math…

US retirement-age (65+) population 2016: 49.2M
Ryan’s claimed increase that resulted in that number: 90%
Actual population increase required to be a “90% increase” : 23.3M

US working-age (19-64) population 2016: 192.9M
Ryan’s claimed increase resulting in that number: 19%
Actual population increase required to be a “19% increase”: 30.8M

In other words, using Ryan’s own numbers, we have had more absolute numbers of people added to the working age than we have moving into retirement age. Specifically, there have been 1.32 persons added to working-age for every person moving into retirement age.

Is a 1.32:1 ratio not enough to support SS and Medicare? Quite possibly not. My point is only that as usual the “serious policy guy” Ryan is trying to snow people into thinking that there are like 4.5 times as many retirement-age people leaving the workforce as there are new workers (19% x 4.5 = 90%) when in fact we are birthing (or importing) 1.32 new workers for every retiree.

(Source for population data)

6 Likes

He still needs to pass the tax bill. I wonder how Susan Collins will vote now that the pledge to keep SS, Medicare, and Medicaid off the block is toast and out in the open. Maine’s population is aging and comprised of a truck load of SS and Medicare beneficiaries. Florida and Arizona have large numbers of retirees. Wonder how this will play in those states?

5 Likes

Who might that be? I can’t think of anyone who is currently there.

1 Like

My opinion of him is also very low. Paul Ryan is despicable - in his smugness, his pretense of intelligence, his disregard for real people, his total lack of humanity . . . . well, the list could be endless.

1 Like

You’re probably right. I initially thought Ryan would be able to manage the house better than he has - so I’m assuming anyone could get more legislation through than he has. However, the GOP pool is pretty pathetic.

1 Like

It’s been said that the Republicans have a numerical majority, not a governing majority. Their problems are systemic and in my opinion won’t be solved by a switch in Speaker.

Since 2009, the main requirement to be elected as a Republican has been to be anti-government, anti-Obama, anti-immigrant, etc. As such, these people are unprepared for the serious work of legislating.

3 Likes

I completely agree, and it’s part of the reason I never wanted nor intend to have kids. If only my less self-aware and globally-aware, usually evangelical, cohorts even had these concerns on their radar. But nope, my high school classmates have been popping out babies like no one’s business, and Quiverfull families are still a thing. :frowning:

1 Like

You know, I am not convinced of Ryan’s supposed intelligence but I think he’s smart enough to see that.

1 Like

Paul Ryan: “I did my part.”

Roy Moore: “I tried to do my part.”

1 Like

As Josh said in his blog on the main page…there are “feral republicans” in Congress. He was speaking with regard to Rosenstein but the moniker fits. Feral republicans…without ethics, morals or a sense of duty to country before self. Corrupt to the hilt. Corrupt…I’ve always thought of that word as one about rot and decay.
I’m a bit too angry to safely comment right now so I am gonna take a break and go do something constructive.
Oh fuck, too late. trump’s on the telly barfing about his plan to gut 2 regulations for each one added.

I gotta go now

Maybe Republicans should stop starting wars so that more Americans will live and not get body parts blown off or become too psychologically scarred to function afterwards? Just a thought…

Or perhaps rethink gun control since every day in America another American is shot dead and usually with their own gun.

1 Like

“I’m riffing here,” the speaker admitted

Republican jazz is the worst jazz

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available