Discussion: Trump Transition Team Accuses Mueller Of Improperly Obtaining Documents

I’m not a lawyer, but every lawyer I’ve read on Twitter has said no, you don’t get executive privilege until you’re actually sworn in as executive.

2 Likes

That suggests to me that their actions were more an attempt to mollify Mr. Trump, than to get any kind of redress.

That and the fact that their beef is explicitly more with GSA than with Mueller makes it especially ironic that the media seems to be mining this for evidence of wrongdoing on Mueller’s part.

1 Like

That to me is the driving undertone to all of this. He has very few, um no outs actually to counter what has happened already. In fact, it will be impossible in my opinion for him to redeem anything after his first year. He is damaged goods. This period or era we seemed to have fallen into is going to hurt, be a mess and is scary as hell. But in the end, with the exclusion of deploying troops in the streets and assigning political minders to everyone, he is not going to wash off the stench and the opposition. His minders will like to see that happen, but they are missing some key characteristics to our American culture. We can be total bastards when it finally sinks in. If he were simply in trouble for emoluments and the like, he might make his first term to the end. But the crap he and his supporters are playing with is literally treason. No coming back from that. A lot of the Republicans may be playing along for their own pet reasons, but they are going to get burned in the end as well.

3 Likes

OT: but seems important.

5 Likes

Hahaha! Honestly, I don’t know if that was auto-correct or my carelessness. Good catch, Colonel!

1 Like

“No problem.”

(sotto voce - “We’ve already got them all on the computer anyway.”)

If there is absolutely no collusion, as the Orange Moron claims, why are they impugning Mueller and trying to shut down the probe? Something smells like Russian pickled herring.

1 Like

I guess we won’t be seeing any motions in limine at trial.

6 Likes

I will be surprised if he returns to the Senate at all.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

Remember—the Saturday Night Massacre led directly to Nixon’s near-impeachment,----which he avoided only by resigning.

Sure, but that was then. Let me know if you spot a Howard Baker or an Elliot Richardson out in the Republican hills these today.

1 Like

‘Is that a current picture of Trump? He looks terrible—vacant-eyed and exhausted.’

yeah. and that’s one of the good ones.

5 Likes

I hope not. As I noted earlier, the WaPo commenters (and some here) were taking WaPo to task for a wishy-washy headline and not making it clear that the Trumpers were claiming Mueller did something illegal or wrong when, in fact, he was following the law and had every right to see those emails.

2 Likes

Nowhere in my comment did I imply that such people existed, nor was my comment solely about Trump.

Yes, as was Trey Gowdy.

1 Like

It’s also important to remember Josh’s point in the ed blog piece - these are not good lawyers. They’ve been picked far more based on loyalty than competence. Even if they tried to get good ones, no one good will work for him anyway because, as has been frequently quoted, “he won’t listen, and he won’t pay”.

Any good lawyer should have known this was out there. They obviously didn’t. They were counting on their guy at the GSA shutting anything down, and then he died and not only left them without a plan B but a hole they had completely forgotten about. They’re just lashing out at this point.

7 Likes

Just sayin’. I guess we’ll know soon enough.

That would be a nice little Xmas present. Nunes is a dunce. Let those corrupt congress people start to squirm. It would be a reminder to them, no one is safe.

3 Likes

And he’d say hahaha no backsies

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available